Friday, November 11, 2011

SWATH'S SCREENWRITER  GIVES INSIGHTS ABOUT THE 'SNOW WHITE' STORY

Universal


Evan Daugherty spoke with Collider as to how he came about his version of 'Snow White'.

And so, the first question I want to ask you is, why another Snow White movie? We’ve seen a whole bunch of variations on the Snow White story. To me, it’s the same thing as another Robin Hood. So, what’s different about this version?

DAUGHERTY: Well, I wrote this script in 2003, when I was a humble college student, sitting in my boxers and writing in my dorm room. And I came up with the idea of writing an action-based Snow White, with this kind of Huntsman character as kind of a way in. So, that’s something I’m sort of proud of. Some people think that this is the era of revisionist fairy tales, and was this sort of a cynical grab? Well, the fact of the matter is, this is something that came from a very organic place. I think there’s something to be said for the fact that people in Hollywood didn’t want to make it back then, y’know, and that fairy tales somehow became a trend…but, for me, when you’re looking back at those old fairy tales, those stories are sort of about men saving women and the heroic prince saving the damsel in distress. And that didn’t seem like a particularly modern way of talking about things. So, my guiding principle became, “What if, instead of saving Snow White, the Huntsman teaches Snow White to save herself?”



Uh-huh.




DAUGHERTY: So, the reason I’m excited about it is, what had been a sort of frilly, fairy-tale world has been reinvented with a more subversive tone. There’s more action and adventure, it’s very Lord of The Rings-ish, and that’s something that’s been in there from the very first draft. People seemed kind of surprised by the teaser, but I was like, “Yeah, well, that’s what it is.” Y’know, I read the talkbacks and the comment boards, and there’s always some haters out there…but I think with this people see our intentions.




Read more of this extensive interview here.




No comments:

Post a Comment

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...